Friday, September 25, 2009

i'm gorgeous, but only when i'm airbrushed

Who knew standing in line at the grocery store could make a person feel very ugly? So there I stand, so innocently, with my ice cream and bag of chips, while perfectly airbrushed celebrities stare at me from their glossed pages. It is at this exact moment that I tilt my head down and look at my own body and find myself wondering why my abs don't shimmer like that under florescent lighting, or why my hair doesn't feather out around my face when I standstill.

I was never one of those preadolescence who flipped through the pages of magazines and religiously compared themselves to the images enhanced by airbrushing. I'm thankful for that, yet I feel for those girls who do. What message is that sending? Body image is such a huge issue in the media right now and has been for such a long time that it makes me wonder why is our society's standard of beauty determined by how well an editor can airbrush? Or for that matter, what even is beautiful?

If attractive was considered fat and pimply, then that's what would be gracing the covers of magazines. But it's not. And who decided that?

I understand that magazines and ad companies aren't directly at fault for the public's perspective of beauty, but I can't help but wonder if because they feed into it so heavily if they, in turn, are?

No comments:

Post a Comment