Thursday, September 24, 2009

we did this completely on purpose, but this was not our intent

Shame on you Courant. Seriously? Not only do I find this whole situation completely ironic, but also a little insulting.

I'm not an avid Courant reader, nor will I now become one, as I find their 245 years of "integrity and credibility" sounding more like a banner line than the actual truth. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, and dare I say, judgmental, about this entire issue, but I can't help but find the humor in it all. Here is a newspaper that serves as a source of news and entertainment to countless people, a paper that we trust, and they thank us by ripping other newspapers off? What's the point of that?

The entire job as a journalist is to report credible information. To cite and protect your sources all while creating a piece worthy of reading. I feel like on day one of journalism school (if there was such a place) there would be a chart stating the rules to follow, much like a kindergarten classroom, and on top of that list, in big capital letters would be the words, DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. And wouldn't you think that even the journalist themselves would feel insulted by the mere thought of plagiarizing another writer's work?

Oh and by the way, thank you Richard Graziano for disciplining those six employees, I hope that their short trip to the corner really hurt their feelings. I wonder if universities will take notice and maybe change their academic ethics policies? I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that meeting when the dean tells the student, "What you did was wrong, I think you should go apologize to your professor. But have a fun weekend!" Case closed. Good role model Courant.

So I can't help but wonder, are there really no new ideas anymore? Are sporadic trips to the water cooler now filled with talk such as "Oh wow, that sounds good, okay, I'll just take that, and OH! good one, I'll take that one too" all while holding a copy of the Journal Inquirer? I guess all those involved in office relationship drama can rest easy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment