Friday, October 2, 2009

How do you know that? Facebook told me.

I really think Facebook depends on the person. For some, it is an endless social utility that allows people to connect with long lost friends, distant family members, or even a way to brag about their children. And for those reasons, I think Facebook is great.

For others, typically ages 16-21, FB is dramatically different. It's a popularity contest. Who has the most friends, the funnest weekend, and the best drunk pictures? It's a game played by girls everywhere. Personally, I find it highly annoying, and half the time, when I log on, my news feed alerts me to conversations, postings and pictures that I don't want to see and could care less about. So for me, FB is a useless utility that pounds on frustration and annoyance.

However, I can't help but find some crude irony when those same drunk, obsessive, picture posters are searched by possible employers and are caught red handed in their tactless game. All the security settings in the world aren't protecting you from losing shreds of dignity.


I think that FB applies to different age groups in drastically different ways. If it works for you and you enjoy it, great. But share the info, and explain it to me. And when it really comes down to it, isn't it sad how much we have to protect ourselves from people who are so ready to take advantage of trusting people?

1 comment:

  1. "However, I can't help but find some crude irony when those same drunk, obsessive, picture posters are searched by possible employers and are caught red handed in their tactless game."

    There is an old media lesson that applies to this situation in social media: Remember who your audience is, and tailor your work to them.

    Certain types of social media can become mass media, because when you post or send a message, you often don't know how many people will eventually read it.

    ReplyDelete