Monday, October 26, 2009

intent: not to create new knowledge

After reading various articles concerning Wikipedia, I decided to browse through the website typing in various searches that interested me. I read through articles concerning the Giants, various American authors and some favorite TV shows. I realized, I know nothing of importance. In the about section on Wikipedia, it says "Visitors do not need specialized qualifications to contribute" okay, well I don't, and still can't. I don't even feel like I have anything worthwhile to say or even if I thought something was interesting or could slightly expand on something already written, should I?

So now I wonder, how does Wikipedia even work? If everyone can post and edit whenever they chose, (except Scientologists, that is) how doesn't it become so muddled with useless information? However, since it is such a highly trafficked sight, any wrong information is cleared up seemingly within moments.

But what I don't get is why people spend so much time updating and adding to entries. It's almost like writing a research paper, for fun, in your spare time. I'll pass.

As far as Wikipedia being a reliable source, I would say it is. Although I never cite Wikipedia as a primary source, I do do my preliminary research on the site. I find it to be written in layman's terms and it gets right to the point. I would rather read short article and feel mildly informed than do tons of research and get the same out of it. Maybe I'm just lazy,

No comments:

Post a Comment