Monday, November 9, 2009

for travelers? or locals?

This guy brings up some good points. When I think about my own town, all five of us, I think, who cares? In a town where there is no gas station, street lights, and only two main roads, I can't help but wonder what there is to talk about. Maybe a gossip blog would satisfy the local tongue wagers and news of a tag sale would build excitement with the elderly, but then I read this and now I get it. Hyper local blogging could become a business. He says, "If you’re a real estate agent, write about real estate and where you practice it. A blogging plumber? Write about plumbing and where you practice it. Bike store owner? Write about bikes and biking and where you bike locally."

Then I got to thinking, what if I was planning to move into a new town with my husband and children, and despite the overall appearance and facade of the town I wanted to know the ins and outs. I'd want to know what the school system was like from real parents who wrote about it freely and anonymously, weekend activities, school sports, etc. Maybe this type of blogging could become sort like a Consumer Reports magazine on the local front. It could even become a way of socially connecting...meeting new friends, being more involved and aware of the town you live in...

HOWEVER, would I read it for the meaningless, day to day, shut up about it already, kind of news? I'll pass. Maybe if my town was bigger and actually had some life to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment